A Funny Little Small World (of Bloggers) Story

by Twitchy on July 27, 2011

I believe people who are meant to meet, or meet again, will. The universe is funny that way.

A few nights ago I was on Twitter, reading all the interesting snippets about people’s lives including, amongst other things: kid-wrangling, travel between Australia and the US and the cultural differences, high school reunions, literature, writerly stuff and links to latest blog posts.

A tweet popped up from my long distance cyber friend Michelle (aka @mamabook), who is from Australia but living in California now. So I hopped on over to her blog 4 kids, a dog and a blog to see what she’s been up to. I always love reading her (sometimes achingly) insightful observations and wish that I could one day meet her so that we may run away to a café together for a good old face to face as we have long discussed. I read her beautiful post about the book Runaway Bunny. Below that I saw a link to another blog fascinatingly entitled “That Weird American Who’s Obsessed With Australia”. This blog is by a lady called Dina who is a friend of Michelle’s. Clearly it wasn’t late enough that night because I then went on a blog-hopping adventure with no clear destination. But isn’t this how we best stumble upon the divinely serendipitous?

I clicked through some of the posts from Dina’s family visit to Australia in 2009. It is obvious she is indeed quite obsessed with Australia because she seems to know more about our lovely country culturally, geographically and politically in more infinite detail than most of us would. I felt so pleased for her that she could realise some of her big dreams.

I clicked through a few more Aussie trip posts and then did a double take. Dina was pictured with someone I recognised. My old schoolmate and talented writer friend Tracey. We did English Lit together in HSC. It was her work that was always held up to the class as the bar to which we needed to lift our game. To be honest it happened quite a bit and we always ribbed her about it!

I haven’t seen Tracey since October 2008 (before that YEARS), when she came back to Melbourne from Tasmania to attend our twenty year high school reunion together (where naturally we once again ribbed her about being the English and English Lit teachers’ pet). But here she now was, smiling up at me from cyberspace- via-Tassie with her friend Dina from America, who is friends with my friend (from Australia) in America, Michelle.

Also on Dina’s blog was a link to Tracey’s foodie blog, which had been going for some time previously but curiously stopped dead a year ago. This saddened me and I wondered why.

I tweeted Michelle/mamabook of the development. “Oh Tracey? Yes, she came to Sydney with Dina and I met her. We had a day out.” To me this is very cool and interesting.

So I Facebooked Tracey and updated her. “Haahaa!! It is a very small world indeed! [Yes, my friend’s] name is Dina and she is obsessed with Australia!….Yes I remember Michelle well. We all went to the Aquarium together. I have a photo up around the house with her in it from that day!!”

So why isn’t Tracey blogging any more? I’m on a mission to find this out and if at all possible, fire her back up. I sense it has something to do with not having discovered Twitter yet! Tracey has moved back to Melbourne. So we will indeed catch up. It’s more than likely we will talk about people’s lives, including amongst other things: kid-wrangling, travel between Australia and the US and the cultural differences, high school reunions, literature, writerly stuff and….

Post Script: On exchanging emails with Tracey (never having discussed blogs before this week), I tell her I’m attending this Blogopolis event this weekend, only to discover this:
Tracey: “Omg…. the world gets even smaller then!!!!! I have an online buddy, Dani [@Hello_Owl] who is an organiser!!! haaahaaaaaa.” Indeed.

KJ August 2, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Yes, indeedy the cyber world can be very, very small. There was this one day when I met a Twitter friend in real life and after chatting for a bit my mind completed connected some rather vague dots and I blurted out “Is your brother X? I used to work with him!” But you already know that story. 😉 x

Twitchy August 2, 2011 at 2:26 pm

;D

Daisy July 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

What an amazing story! How small is this world, and only getting smaller!

Sif July 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Wow, that is a very small world indeed! I love finding out stuff like that! I found out once that my best friend used to houseshare with a friend of my husband and my brother, and before I met my friend – before my husband and my brother knew each other, so before I met my husband, and while I was still living on the other side of the planet! Very small world indeed!

Twitchy July 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm

At my first ever tweet up (with kids), I was stunned when not long into the conversation, I was asked: “Are you by any chance related to…, who I worked with before mat leave?” Uh, yeah. He’s my brother. :O So much for Twitter anonymity!!

Alex aka Whoa Mumma July 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I love it! It really is a small world after all.

I remember two of my bloggy friends in the US both used an alias on their blogs but after a little bit of sleuthing we all figured out they lived in the same town, just streets away.

Traceyleigh July 28, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I love every aspect of this 🙂 Love the serendipity of it all. Dina, I never did get that email to you in time and glad you know me well enough to understand that my emails are slow coming. lol

Twitchy, was so great chatting to you. Love the way we can chat as though no years have passed by at all. We are still the same girls sitting on the golf course at lunch time, chatting about life, love and other important 17 year old matters 🙂 Look forward to catching up tonight!

Twitchy July 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Ah Tracey! So glad you could make it. Welcome. And now our little rectangle is complete. Loved talking to you again today 🙂 Next mission: Get.Tracey.On.Twitter!! 😉

Dina July 28, 2011 at 11:10 am

This is unbelievable!

I just found your blog from Statcounter.

It’s so many crazy coincidences….us both knowing Michelle, the way I met Michelle….the fact that I have a zillion posts and you finding the ones with Tracey.

It must be fate.

And I think the whole meaning behind it is Tracey. This is all about her needing to update her food blog more often. I think it’s been over a year.

I will definitely start following your blog!

Twitchy July 28, 2011 at 11:32 am

So you’re telling me Michelle hasn’t updated you yet?? Crazy. And here you are. Welcome, hi!! With any luck I might catch Tracey briefly tonight. Am trying to get a hold of her in the city while we’re at separate dinners 😀

Dina July 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm

So are you in Melbourne then?

I was getting the idea you lived in Sydney. Your Sydney label (to the right) is really huge.

I need to stalk your blog so I can find out more about you.

Michelle Higgins July 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Dear Ms Twitchy,
I am so touched (and a bit embarrassed) by your v kind words. When you filled me in on the amazing 6 degrees of internet separation story I was stunned in a v good way. I met Dina (who I count as a v good friend) at Darling Harbour. We struck up a conversation over the kids play equipment. Then we ran into each other a couple of days later at another playground. Incredible. After our 1st meeting I had wished (but been too shy) we had swapped numbers. There was no turning back after random meeting number 2.
I also look forward to the day we meet up for a coffee! And at this point it wouldn’t surprise me if at some point in the future our coffee date may expand to include Dina and Tracey. Four runaway mummys.
Michelle xx

Twitchy July 27, 2011 at 6:04 pm

The backstory continues! That is so interesting- you and Dina were absolutely destined to meet 🙂 As are we x