Hey- I’m Being Followed!

by Twitchy on November 29, 2012

Let’s assume you are a (dear and sweet) but everyday mortal who engages regularly in social media. Let’s say you’re on Twitter, to be specific. Have you ever been responded to by a celebrity, or followed, by a personality of note?*

During one late night Twitter chat last year @MsGetReal (another naughty night owl) was musing about what to do with her garden fresh, home grown parsnips. For a laugh, she copied Boy George on the tweet, because he is a dedicated raw food vegan. Well blow us down, he actually came back with:
“I could tell you!”
You could have knocked us both over with a feather. The guy has over a couple of hundred thousand followers. We did not see that coming, but shit it was funny.

Here’s what happened today. I gained a few followers and as I have a high follow-back habit, I like to see who the new peeps are before I follow back. This afternoon I discovered I am being followed by hilarious plain-talker and all-round Seizer-of-the-Day, radio personality Kate Langbroek. She’d followed me, and Kerri Sackville immediately before me.

Kerri responded with a joyous greeting.** I followed with a slightly more suspicious one:

You see despite not thinking of myself as a complete loser, I can’t possibly understand what might’ve been going through Kate Langbroek’s head when she decided to follow someone like me. Did she like my Bolshie avi? Did her finger slip? Did she give the baby the phone to play with? I’m not a media personality, comedian, journalist or author like many on her blue-tick-laden follow list (well never say never, but hey). No, last time I checked I am still a suburban recluse with a blog that (criminally!) isn’t going to be breaking any stats records anytime soon. BUT WHO AM I TO JUDGE?! There actually are a few people who find me chortle-inducing and who knows, maybe Kate is hoping to find some material inspiration by following a total random on the Tweeter. It’s a free country.

But I’m still going to be checking to see how long I last.

What’s your story?

Linking with With Some Grace for #FYBF

* Not including Kirsty Rice, I already know she’s had a whole soap opera with John Cusack.

**Some might say *whispers* shades of fangirl…but as Kerri is a dear friend I would NEVER say that about her.

Mark August 29, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Strangest follow I ever had – and I am still not 100% sure how it happened – was your former PM. I suppose it was in response to something someone tagged me with, but she had just recently become PM and there it was!

Twitchy August 30, 2013 at 11:15 am

You must be a POI- person of influence! Too bad she doesn’t need you any more…

Housewife in Heels December 1, 2012 at 8:22 am

I haven’t embraced Twitter yet… but when I do I’ll follow you too (although sorry no celebrity status here) :)

Kim-Marie from Kimba Likes November 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I once tweeted Piri Weepu (hero of the All Blacks Rugby World Cup campaign) that I made my husband real fast in bed. Damned autocorrect. It was supposed to read “breakfast in bed”. Good gods. Luckily he laughed! x

Twitchy November 30, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Oh my, that is a classic slip!!

Parental Parody November 30, 2012 at 4:39 pm

You’re totally famous. I’m now claiming 6 degrees of separation from me and whoever else is following you. Kerri Sackville is both hilarious and lovely. I nearly wet myself when Ben Elton started following me. I’m positive he’s going to stop soon enough (if he ever returns to Twitter, since I don’t think he actually uses it very often). And the Editor of The West Australian. I’m waiting for him to offer me a job. It’s been over a year. I’m still waiting. I worked our Telethon here in WA and Channing Tatum re-Tweeted a Telethon Tweet (I was working the Social Media), and I’m absolutely claiming that one as a personal interaction between him and me. Even though it was on the Telethon Twitter account. Shut up, I’ll claim anything.

Twitchy November 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I just remembered- how could I forget?! I once got tweeted by Anthony the Blue Wiggle during Wigglegate! I sat there waiting for mainstream media to come calling for my expert comment on the brouhaha and they were not smart enough to clue in to my clout. But if Kate Langbroek wants to offer me a job on the morning writing team, then we can negotiate. As long as it’s not in the morning. I’m not a morning person.

Rhianna November 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Gosh that is super cool, I wrote about Eamon Sullivan’s mum earlier on the in the year, after having the chance to interview her so I thought I would follow Eamon on twitter so I could let him know when the post went live. Needless to say that he never replied to me.

Twitchy November 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Boo Eamon!

Chantelle Dalgarno November 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Tamsin Howse and I were discussing our teen crushes late one night and found we’d both had a crush on Devon Sawa (Casper / Now and Then / Final Destination). Tamsin mentions he had a twitter account, and the conversation moved on to how much hotter he was back then.

Next thing, Devon Sawa dropped in on our conversation to say hi and tell the world how much he loves Australia… :)

We totally SQUEEEEE’D.

Twitchy November 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Even though he was so much hotter back then?? Lucky his ego seems intact :)

Alicia November 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm

You must be rightly chuffed to have her following you. I would have freaked if Boy George had of replied too, I can imagine it would have been funny :)

Ness November 30, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Do any of Kate’s children have ASD maybe?

You are a witty writer and tweeter though, so that’s a good enough reason

Twitchy November 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Not that I know of… But thank you!

Kim@FallingFaceFirst November 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I don’t know if I can comment in such hallowed company as this…;) The closest I ever came to touching fame was when Lana del Rey followed me after I gave a slightly disparaging tweetreview of her concert. Awkward. I think they actually READ the comment the next day and then unfollowed. The end.

Twitchy November 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Oops! You can only be honest but you don’t expect that, do you? Nor should you a Christmas card from Lana Del Rey! :o