Reflections on Blogvember

by Twitchy Corner on December 10, 2012

I’ve had a little bloggy break this past week; my brain and computer running on similarly lacklustre levels, both needing an overhaul and testing my patience. Here are my reflections on @stellaorbit’s #blogvember challenge, where I successfully posted every day for 30 days in November. I finished something!

To say that I needed a sense of creative accomplishment of late is a desperate understatement. That part of me has felt very neglected and bogged down under the weight of the pointy end of the year and family’s prioritised needs. I jumped on this challenge, (together with @FatMumSlim’s #fmsphotoaday challenge) with gusto. I dedicated myself to the end goal and had a couple of close scrapes, but all in all I reached the finish line on both. A glorious sensation.

It’s a feeling I had in a similar (but much smaller way) about an art/photography/design course I did a decade ago; under pressure at the time, but to this day happily surprised with what I was able to turn out by the end. I know I need a structure and someone/something bigger than myself to answer to, in order to perform.

Concerns: I was a bit worried about being able to come up with ideas on a daily basis, but this soon proved unfounded*, as the more I posted and got into the swing of daily writing, the more ideas I seemed to get- a most welcome and pleasant surprise! They weren’t just shitty filler posts either, if I may say so myself; I even raised the bar (see below). The biggest problem I had was the time factor. Working around family commitments and the oft-crashing ‘puter was frustrating, especially when that meant scraping posts in very late at night, annoying my grumbling Mr with my ridiculous bed times.

The Glittery Positives: You know what else it did? It made me feel like a ‘legitimate blogger’- whatever that is. The commitment to writing every day gave me a real sense of achievement, and that beautiful surprise of having ideas keep popping up each day was very affirming. I managed a couple of posts I was prouder of; both departures from my usual stream-of-tangential-consciousness  style. Given that I started blogging to (first locate, then) exercise my writing muscles, this was a fantastic personal outcome. If you missed these, here they are:
Cup Day Tragics
When There are No Words

My stats grew, comments increased and I enjoyed a more ‘connected’ relationship with readers. It was great. So…

In summary: a great exercise for so many reasons but (once again, time-sucking blog and pc tech issues notwithstanding) I don’t know that the work involved in daily blogging is something I would say is worth my while. At least while I am a personal blogger and not sourcing any income for my efforts.

The next step is a long overdue blog upgrade and make over.  If perhaps a new machine were to speed up my incredibly s-l-o-w posting times, who knows- I might be re-enthused to fly with this some more.

* (In the short term at least- I’m certainly not saying this would happen indefinitely!)

EssentiallyJess December 11, 2012 at 9:49 pm

A whole month would wear me out I think. I did eight days in a row last month with giveaways, and found that tough. Maybe cause I had sponsored posts to write?
Well done though on making it though. That’s amazing :)

Twitchy December 12, 2012 at 1:11 am

I agree Jess, following a brief, rather than what’s bouncing around in your own head would be much harder to keep up on an ongoing basis. I reckon if you had free choice of content, it would’ve been a lot easier for you to knock out. Thanks for your encouragement. I may do it another time :)

Vicki @ Knocked Up and Abroad December 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Wowzers! Every day? That’s quite a commitment and yay for you for dedicating to it. I can see there would be many positives to it, but I would struggle to juggle my time mostly and knowing me I probably would have moments of guilt. My hubbie would definitely develop a jealousy thing for my ‘puter and blog so I would have to play sneaky blogging ;)

Twitchy December 12, 2012 at 1:08 am

That is definitely a third factor- the partner factor. It’s not just the ideas and the time, it’s the couple time at the end of the day that really suffers.

Laney | Crash Test Mummy December 11, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Overall it sounds like it was a really positive experience for you. Whilst I haven’t actually started yet, I’ve decided to write every day, not post every day, but just write. Exercise the muscle. See what I come up with. Hopefully I will surprise myself!

Twitchy December 12, 2012 at 1:06 am

Overall positive, definitely- in the short term. I have absolutely no idea if I could do it all the time like some others I see managing quite well! Don’t know how Woogie does it, for instance.

Kelly HTandT December 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm

That is awesome, well done! It’s such hard work, posting so frequently. If you were to just slap up a block of text then not so much, but to structure and present a post that looks good and reads well is time consuming. I was running on about 5 a week for a while but I found it left me no time to look after my kids! But I guess a lot of that time also went towards sharing the post and making sure people saw it. Exhausting. Now I’ve gone back to work 3 days a week so there’s no chance of keeping up the 5 posts a week, not if I want to have time to read any one else’s posts!

Twitchy December 12, 2012 at 1:04 am

I agree, it *can* be exhausting to spruik multiple times daily. There are more and more apps out there becoming available (some paid) to do this for you though. Once again, another thing I have to find time to research!

Carly December 11, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I would love to try this but I just don’t see how I could ever find the time.

It was good to hear about the positives and how this made you feel. Thanks for sharing.

Twitchy December 12, 2012 at 12:55 am

I seriously want to know how much time I will save when my limping blog and computer are upgraded! (Whenever that is) Right now it’s nothing short of painful.

Ai Sakura December 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm

how wonderful that you completed the challenge! I used to blog almost daily before children but now can just about manage 4 times a week. I don’t think it’s that hard to find topics to write about.. it’s about finding the time!

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

Twitchy December 12, 2012 at 12:54 am

Wow, how long could you blog (almost) daily for? My goodness, I see people do it, but I just don’t know *how*!

Rachel @ The Kids Are All Right December 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Good for you. It’s a hard month to attempt something like that. Men just have to grow a moustache. Pff.

Twitchy December 12, 2012 at 12:50 am

; {)

The Life of Clare December 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I tried doing this for December but have already failed. It’s nice to see your positives for it though!