Meet Some Twittery Typewriters: Typewriter Week, Entry #3

by Twitchy on February 13, 2013

In honour of International Typewriter Appreciation Month and my newest acquisition (below),
welcome to Typewriter Week on TwitchyCorner.
I’ve asked some Twitter friends to help me out for this post today. My thanks go to them.

20130213-012203.jpg

In case you somehow managed to miss her, here she is. Please meet: Miss Red Dora.

Thanks to Anna Spargo-Ryan (@annaspargoryan) for this. A colourful and interesting typewriter befitting of its bright and witty owner.

JUST IN This gorgeous shot from Naomi (@naomi_bulger): "This one belonged to my grandmother. I also used it for inspiration while writing letters for my book Airmail. Here it is with a birthday message in it from a garden party I threw for a friend last year." ADORABLE.

20130213-011602.jpg

Leenie was kind enough to share this shot of her mother's typewriter, which she used in Year 11, but had to write in all the a's, because the key didn't work. You gotta love an antique.

20130213-011620.jpg

Cate (@keepcatebusy) spied these in an Opportunity (Thrift) Shop. Though she didn't take one home, she must've been considering a purchase for at least a minute. I'm drooling over the Parker style cabinet they sit on.

20130213-011654.jpg

This was my first attempt at making up an exclamation mark by use of a . then backspacing with to add a ' - how dare they leave it off the keys?

20130213-142214.jpg

Late entry: Bern's (@bern_Morley) husband kindly bought this for her after she said: I reckon I'd write more on a typewriter. I've never touched it. Could this be the week to get thinking about it again?

20130213-011710.jpg

I once stumbled upon a lovely post Eden (@edenland) wrote about her husband Dave surprising her with the gift of a typewriter. Despite keying everything I could think of into the Google machine, I couldn't find it, so the here's next best thing. How cool is that? (With thanks, and owner's permission.)

Linking with

My Little Drummer Boys Sakura Haruka's wordless wednesday

Josefa @always Josefa February 16, 2013 at 7:09 am

Now you have me really thinking! Will I write more and better on a typewriter?!

I guess there is only one way to find out…..

Becky from BeckyandJames.com February 14, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Ohhh. Love! My dad gave me a typewriter for Christmas last year, it’s so lovely!

Rita February 13, 2013 at 8:25 pm

These are really cool typewriters! I remember mine, it was brown, huge and so heavy!

Ai Sakura February 13, 2013 at 7:30 pm

wow those are gorgeous! my mum has one.. I need to dig it out!

Janet February 13, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I’m loving your typewriter theme this week!!!! Some trivia for you – did you know that to type the word “typewriter” if you are touch typing, you use every finger? And all the letters are on the top line of the keyboard??? Yes I know, I need to get a life!!!

Twitchy February 13, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Janet, Thank you. I’m a mad geeky tidbits buff and I did not know that. LOVE it!! I may use that in another post on the weekend on random typewriter trivia and historical facts, ok?

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen February 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Aren’t they wonderful? I love the keys on the Imperial 🙂

Emily @ Have a laugh on me February 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I wish I still had my old one – might have to try find a photo of me using it!

Kim-Marie from Kimba Likes February 13, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I learnt to type on an electric typewriter at school (largely because the Accounting 2 class I had signed up for got cancelled as I was the only Form 6 student who had signed up for it!), and when I started work as an office junior waaaay back when, we had a bank of word processors and not everyone had a PC on their desk. Yes, I am that old!

I am with you – I adore the wooden cabinet in Cate’s photo. x

Alicia February 13, 2013 at 11:49 am

I remember doing my year 12 on an older typewriter, and was marked down by my snooty teacher for not having an electric one at home(like all the other girls). All was righted by the quality of my work and the assessors at the end of year 🙂 Definitely something very nostalgic about an old typewriter.

Thea February 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

They are really cool photos!

Trish February 13, 2013 at 9:11 am

PS I love your typewriter challenge and hunt.

Trish February 13, 2013 at 9:10 am

I have an old typewriter – very similar to Leenie’s – same almost it was my grandfather’s.

Yvette @ Little Bento Blog February 13, 2013 at 8:44 am

love the typewriter pictures and the necklace is very cool!