Rubber Dog

by Twitchy on July 2, 2013

Many years ago, when bin night meant carrying out your own metal or plastic garbage bin, I remember this hazard: Every few weeks a bang would be heard and a resident would come out to find one of our neighbour’s dogs Garbage Guts the Labrador, living up to his nickname hoeing gleefully into the refuse. Pretty sure Labradors are the reason why bins started to come with metal side clips.

Growing up with a strong love of dogs, I had a book all about different breeds. One of the negative characteristics of the much loved and intelligent Labrador, was bin raiding and a tendency to eat all sorts of shit that wasn’t always food.

Charlie with an actual Labrador: gone is this slim waist of yore.

Back in March, our family welcomed its newest member Charlie, a two year old rescue from the local shelter. He was Kelpie crossed with Golden Labrador. (Our last dear girl was Kelpie x Border Collie.) Despite a showy blond coat, the Kelpie part in Charlie was evident and seemed dominant. Many asked if he’s part Dingo. Those lovely teddy bear eyes held an intelligent gaze and a slim physique moved in a typically prancy, light-footed gait.

Bringing him home and socialising him at the dog park we soon saw his super-strong working dog instincts in full swing. Look out little dogs, even big ones- especially if you are fluffy. You will be chased and rounded. Kelpie.

Look out curly white poodle. Shepherd dog at 12 o’clock.

We also noticed he was very oral when stressed. Separation anxiety is part and parcel of rescuing shelter dogs. Sometimes he misses me so much I find him cuddling, sometimes sucking on one of my slippers. The first time I left him alone in the house he ate pencils and crayons from the small girl’s art table. Another time it was Duplo. There were rainbow speckled turds everywhere for weeks.

We’re stretching his alone time indoors; the only solution chew toys and rubber balls and closing the bedroom doors. We are improving.I can leave him for longer periods without losing household items. But before Winter even took proper hold I noticed this Kelpie thickening up, losing his former waist and slighter build. He got a fat arse. His tummy is rounded. Natural maturing process?  City living? Winter weight? No one asks about the Dingo any more…

His chew toys start looking like this:

20130702-002152.jpg

This toy is supposed to last weeks, this is week 1.

Is he full of rubber??! Maybe that spare tyre is closer to an actual tyre than I first thought. He needs to be burning rubber, much less eating it.

I have to go outside and check the ground tomorrow. There had better be some rubber bits lying around the yard or I fear we have a vet visit ahead; the blasted Labrador side is coming out. And hopefully, SO WILL THE MISSING RUBBER!

Update: Many blue rubber fins were detected in the yard, and while visually unique I have spared you the photographic evidence.

The Plumbette July 6, 2013 at 9:48 pm

We own a Springer Spaniel and he loves to eat my toddler’s crayons. Except he always leaves the white ones. Obviously they are bland in flavor. I also can relate to having a yard full of speckled and coloured poo landmines. Great post.

Emily @ Have a laugh on me July 3, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Ha ha so true, I’ve known labs as pets for years, haven’t owned one, I had a golden retriever when I was in NY as a nanny, they’re my preference but too hot for them here. Maybe a lab down the track :)

Kirsty @ My Home Truths July 2, 2013 at 10:40 pm

We are moving into our (hopefully) forever house in a few weeks and I plan on welcoming a shaggy friend to the family before the end of the year – your post has given me some food for thought. Hoping you see lots of rubber in your yard tomorrow!

Twitchy July 5, 2013 at 1:51 pm

It’s a lottery Kirsty; they’re all different. Our last girl never, ever dug. But it’s a lottery well worth entering.

Me July 2, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Rosie (staffie) is the chewer in our family. Alfie (also a staffie) will chew bones and dog toys but he doesn’t really destroy them – Rosie seems to chew them with the aim of destroying them completely. Funnily enough they don’t chew anything inside. We have lost books that have been delivered that the posty has thrown over the gate – we now have a laminated notice on the gate asking the posty to please not throw any parcels into they yard, they have ‘read’ books on Tasmania, Terry Francona, the yellow pages and the white pages. They have also chewed up my Arbonne products – so the posty is not popular when he doesn’t read the notice and throws parcels into the yard !!!
Good luck and have the best day !
Me

Twitchy July 5, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Oh my goodness. Talk about devouring a good book! Can I just say, if this happened when we first got our new family member, he may not still be here…

Miss Cinders July 2, 2013 at 8:12 pm

*giggles* Gotta love a chewy dog, they make life less boring don’t you think?

D the dog was a chewer when we got him, he’d chew all BJ8’s outside toys up. But lately he won’t touch them anymore… which I’m loving!

Your puppies are beautiful btw :)

MC x
#teamIBOT ;)

EssentiallyJess July 2, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Our dog is part kelpie part lab too, but she is black and slim and sleek. We have had the opposite issue with her losing heaps of weight lately. Thankfully she seems to be gaining it again now

Lisa @ Raising Explorers July 2, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hoping he’s not full of rubber! I guess the colourful craps are reassuring, a well as aesthetically pleasing? Good luck with the training!

Twitchy July 5, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Haha, true. From a sciencey angle, kind of fascinating. :o

Lisa @Circle of Toast July 2, 2013 at 11:22 am

Aww, what beautiful dogs! I know what you mean about the herding instinct, we have four cats and there’s nothing our Kelpie likes better than trying to herd them around the place. Needless to say the cats don’t take kindly to this! Hope you find those blue bits in your yard!

tahlia @ the parenting files July 2, 2013 at 11:22 am

Just make sure you put all your good shoes away! Those labradors eat anything! I heard once that a lab ate a rock, not a stone, a ROCK like it was a cookie….. only labs! x

Twitchy July 5, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh no! That sounds like an expensive vet visit for sure. At least our rubber bits, pencil and crayon particles have managed to make their journey from A to Z without intervention. Phew.

Josefa @always Josefa July 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

Oh no!! I hope that rubber appears in your backyard (one way or another)
He is super cute though, does that make it any easier? xx

Rhianna July 2, 2013 at 10:12 am

I am so thankful that my dog has never been a chewer, would drive me batty I tell you. Hope you find lots of blue in the poo.

Kaz @ Melting Moments July 2, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hope you find some blue rubber scattered around the yard! Dogs will eat anything!!

Kaz @ Melting Moments July 2, 2013 at 8:57 am

PS. Following via Blog Lovin :)

Marita July 2, 2013 at 7:10 am

We fostered a Labrador customs puppy during my pregnancy with Annie. Now admittedly most things made me want to barf while I was pregnant but the things that dog ate :gag: twas not pretty.

Twitchy July 2, 2013 at 11:20 am

Thanks for letting me know it works!