Back to the 80’s Movies

by Twitchy on May 20, 2014

We have the classic tradition of Friday night pizza and family movie night at our house. Usually it’s an animated flick but recently I decided we were ready to branch out and (re)visit some classic 80’s action/adventure favourites. Spielberg was all up in that business.

Mr 14: Why does everything have to be 80’s?
Me: Shut up and enjoy.

Image taken from here http://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=213448

Image taken from here

Mr 14’s been familiar with the Indiana Jones trilogy for a while, but now he knows who The Goonies are too. Sadly for Miss 7, though she caught quite a few scenes it’s too scary and inappropriate for her age so she sat this one out. So inappropriate in fact, I was prompted to tweet my new-found wowserism through a parent’s eyes (wtf, Spielberg?):

Image taken from here

Image taken from here

No such problems with our next trilogy choice! My parenting badge for this month has been earned these past two weekends introducing my two to #BacktotheFuture I & II. (Next week III). I have zero explanation as to how we left it this long but it was the recent stumbling upon a Lego display in a toy store that reminded me of my unforgivable oversight. “THANK YOU FOR MY NEW OBSESSION!” cried Mr 14 and dashed off. No sooner had the credits rolled, he was off to build a Delorean.

image

“Roads? Where we’re going we don’t need roads!”

Though I’d denied his earlier begging to rush out and buy the pack (why so expensive in Australia, Lego??) instead I printed and laminated a couple of photos and this is what he made from his own parts at home. The doors lift up and the wheels fold under!

Now he wants to know if he should start saving for a real one. We looked- there are in fact three currently up for sale in our home state right now. He’ll need around $50,000 and a manual licence. And a flux capacitor.

What’s your favourite kid’s flick from earlier days?

Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me May 21, 2014 at 1:38 pm

NO WAY, check out his Delorean!! That is incredible, a talented boy you have there. I haven’t seen the Goonies or ET in ages, can’t wait til my kids are big enough to watch them.. if I can tear them away from the fab animation they now have access to :) x

Twitchy May 21, 2014 at 11:57 pm

I’m a little worried about Miss7 and ET. You should have seen how she reacted when Rapunzel’s hair was cut! Threw herself down on the floor at the movies and people had to step over her…

Lara @ This Charming Mum May 21, 2014 at 10:20 am

I’ve just been thinking of sharing some of these flicks with my kids so thanks for the heads up! No Goonies just yet! Although I don’t remember the swearing at all! And I never got the willy joke either. Back to the Future is good though – apart from the whole being hit on by your mum thing, but I guess it’s handled pretty innocently. Ooh, now I have that Cyndi Lauper ‘Good enough’ song in my head…

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen May 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm

My absolute favourites were Flashdance, Risky Business and of course St.Elmo’s Fire. None of these suitable for my 11 year old, so I think it will definitely be the Back To The Futures next here too. We have been watching the Spy Kids movies and recently Richie Rich on Saturday nights, and love it! x

Bec @ The Plumbette May 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I loved Back to the Future and I remember watching The Ewok movies with my brother when I was a kid.

EssentiallyJess May 20, 2014 at 2:01 pm

I loved Back to the future.
I’ve been considering introducing my older girls to The Neverending Story, but I know they will cry about the horse.

Twitchy May 20, 2014 at 2:38 pm

My girl did, and though she now knows the outcome, she still holds it against that movie!

Whitney May 21, 2014 at 3:32 am

Falcor!!!!!!!!!

Kirsten McCulloch May 23, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Oh the Never Ending Story! What a good idea!

I am a bit hopeless with movies cause I hardly watch them myself and have a terrible memory (though the first Back to the Future movie I remember very well. how many times has that been on tele?!). Plus, having ages 4 to 12, not so many movies appropriate for all of them.

Anyway, what age do you rthink Never ending story would be good from?

JodiGibson (@JFGibsonWriter) May 20, 2014 at 11:58 am

Love 80’s flicks. Goonies was the first I saw at a cinema so has great memories. I always loved the teen movies such as Breakfast Club, Top Gun, Dirty Dancing, so not so ‘kid’ friendly. Back to the Future is always a fav too. And Teen Wolf!

Twitchy May 20, 2014 at 3:49 pm

One thing hasn’t changed: Josh Brolin is still hot! Michael J Fox is still pretty cute, too.

Josefa @always Josefa May 20, 2014 at 11:26 am

I cannot wait to sit down and watch the Back to the Futures with my boys! So awesome! LOVE LOVE LOVE The Goonies – rumour has it they are making a sequel ;) Happy birthday lovely xx

Twitchy May 20, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Really and truly? A Goonies sequel? Happy days!

Kimberley M May 20, 2014 at 10:06 am

I was a massive Beverley Hills Cop series and Top Gun in my teens. Wouldn’t show either to my kids, though. Neverending Story has had a run with my kids a few times, as has Anne of Green Gables, both 2 of my absolute faves. The 80s really were a seminal decade for celluloid cheese. Thanks for bringing back some grouse memories, young Twitch! Kx

Twitchy May 20, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Grouse? Check out the guy who played Atreyu on IMDB and how he looks today. Totally looks like another Anthony Kiedis from the Chili Peppers… tatts and all. You’re welcome.

Emily May 20, 2014 at 8:14 am

Oh how I heart Back to the Future. And I recently read MJF’s memoir to discover he filmed that at night while filming Family Ties during the day, averaging two hours’ sleep a night. WOWSERS.

Family flicks, hmmmm. My brother and I used to love Short Circuit. I have a feeling that’s a movie best left in the memory banks, though. INPUT!

Twitchy May 20, 2014 at 3:52 pm

No way MJF! A,good read?

We’ve already done “NO. 5 IS ALIVE,” the boy lived it and it held up pretty well. Try again!

Deb @home life simplified May 20, 2014 at 7:19 am

My girls are 9 and 10 and we have watched The Goonies a handful of times. I was shocked at the language and hubby and I did look at each other a few times but we told the girls about a different time lol and that it was obviously not for regular life ; )

I am a child of the 80s so too many faves really. We showed them ghostbusters recently and whoa again on the themes and language and jokes lol

Twitchy May 20, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Ghostbusters!! Thank you for lining up the next one :)

Kirsten McCulloch May 23, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Oh Ghostbusters! Yes!

Lydia C. Lee May 20, 2014 at 6:54 am

Not a kids flick, but I made the kids watch Who’s Killing the Great Chefs of Europe? cos I loved it as a kid, but not appropriate for me then, and gave the 7 year old nightmares (as it did me)…heehee!

Twitchy May 20, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Never heard of that. What bizarre taste you have!

Twitchy May 23, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Provided for sensitive ones you cover their eyes during the horse loss scene, six or seven at a guess. My son was kind enough to cover her eyes during first viewing but she caught it the next time :/ It’s very quick, I wish they’d left it out as despite the ending, it bugged her and her dreams for ages :(