Challenge Accepted, Walking the Walk

by Twitchy on September 2, 2014

Wisdom: The things in life you regret most are the ones you never did. A truth that resonates with me enormously.

Confession: I was born a creative, musical type but also an anxious one, conundrum. I love participating; hate the idea of being watched. I love nothing better than live music shows but crowds make me so edgy, I sit out.

wpid-img_20140902_121159.jpg

Difficulty factor: I’ve skillfully handed this genetic baton directly to my otherwise triple-threat, seven-year old daughter. Our home-brand see-saw of counter energies is a major problem for her.

Hard enough is watching your child struggle; harder again knowing from where the difficulty has come.

At Saturday dance class again she froze. Pairs of happy parental eyes looked on from beyond the glass. Stiff as a statue, she wouldn’t join. “My tummy has the bad butterflies, Mummy…” She clung with dread. I hugged her, whispered in her ear, “Dance them away, Bub. Dance them away.” Eventually she did, challenge accepted. Other times we’ve had to go home but thankfully not that day.

Saturday night, we attended a fundraiser. I was honoured to receive a second invitation for that evening, one that excited and challenged my every nerve, yet I reserved the right to decide flight or flight until the last moment.

image

Vintage 60s Purple Velvet makes everything better, surely.

I love this dress and sharing vintage dresses generally but I hate selfies. I don’t mind at all when other people do it but I never feel comfortable. Challenge accepted. Plus, bathroom breathing diversion. Outside, the hall was bigger and throbbed with many more attendees than I’d imagined.

image

Silver and black cushions for the new modular lounge. Olga Berg ‘Mocha’ clutch for me.

Next, the auction results. I was lucky enough to win both the items I bid on. A sign of things going well tonight?

Rebecca Barnard and Billy Miller did their highly infectious old-school thing and as the band rocked hard, the crowd cut loose and danced.  I envied their carefree lightheartedness (how dare they). My knot tightened, I trembled on the inside. The bad butterflies rose within me and I was angry with them but I remembered my girl. I need to walk the walk. I can’t expect her to do something I won’t.

The last three songs. My name is called…challenge accepted. I skipped up those stairs and shape-shifted into band member, no rehearsal. We harmonised, we twisted, we rocked out so seamlessly no one would have known a thing about my doubts.

image

I headed home proud of myself, of my example to my daughter and ecstatic I did not go home regretful. I’d cast aside thoughts of what others might think. I did not flee from happiness.

image

Sweetest icing on my cake? I made a friend who wants me back for the whole gig next year. Thank you Rebecca (and Billy) for letting me play; to my Twitchette for making me accountable; and thank you Purple Velvet, for your magical boost of confidence.

EssentiallyJess September 6, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Firstly, I love that dress, and you look great in it.
Secondly, I’m so glad you did this! It wouldn’t have felt half as sweet if you didn’t have to fight the fear to do so either.

Emily September 4, 2014 at 9:18 pm

What a fantastic post! Good on you. Good. On. You. I want details of that big – I’ll be your first groupie! (In the crazy fan chanting your name kind of way. I won’t be waiting for you in the hotel room.)

Emily September 4, 2014 at 9:19 pm

(gig, not big)

Twitchy September 4, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Emily you are adorable xx We shall talk.

Aroha @ Colours of Sunset September 4, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Go you girlfriend! That woulda taken megaballs! Or mega vodka!?!? :)

Twitchy September 4, 2014 at 10:35 pm

A glass or two if vino, a breathe and quick chat with Rebecca outside during the auctions, one good hard look in the mirror at the chick I had to answer to and one purple velvet dress with attitude ;) x

Huzilla September 3, 2014 at 9:57 pm

This rocks – good for you! This whole year I’ve made a deliberate decision to say “yes” to things I would normally say “no” to and to step outside my comfort zone and bloody oath, good shit happens. Scary shit, but good!

Twitchy September 4, 2014 at 11:55 am

I applaud you, Hugz. This whole thing is like fitness- the more you keep it up and keep pushing past the discomfort, the easier it gets. But getting there… Xx

Nikki @ Wonderfully Women September 3, 2014 at 4:15 pm

That is totally awesome, I can’t sing for peanuts! xx N

Twitchy September 4, 2014 at 11:56 am

And I did it for no treats at all ;)

Leisa September 3, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Good on you! I loved your, “Dance them away, Bub!” encouragement. That was simply beautiful. Sometimes you just have to DO IT, regardless and in spite of how you’re feeling.

Twitchy September 3, 2014 at 4:00 pm

My son has heard me say quite a few times: “The only way out is through”- the thing is you have to back the theory up with practise.

Rhianna September 2, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Oh how wonderful for you to get up there. It made my heart swell to hear you sing when you shared that little clip. It is amazing the things that we can push ourselves to do when it comes to being a role model for our children isn’t it? Sending lots of fairy wishes and butterfly kisses your way lovely lady

Twitchy September 3, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Yes, our children are our constant reminders of our own actions, keeping us on our toes. Thanks Rhianna x

Renee Wilson September 2, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Good on you! This is massive. Isn’t it strange that you can be so terrified of doing something, but want to do it so bad? It must have been such an amazing feeling to conquer your fears. I see a lot of me in my daughter too and I try as much as I can to model the way for her just as you have done with yours. #teamIBOT

Twitchy September 3, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I read your post today about fears of the Problogger conference- you did the same thing and pushed on regardless, to be happy you did. Well done you!

Emily @ Have A Laugh On Me September 2, 2014 at 7:30 pm

My goodness that is awesome, I’m not sure I would have been so brave, well done lovely, a big achievement for you! That dress is lovely and I’m glad you rocked it! x

Twitchy September 3, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Don’t believe you! You look like you take on the world at large Emily!