What Did Cats Do Before The Internet?

by Twitchy on December 2, 2014

Like it or not, few marriages have been made in heaven such as that of the feline persuasion and the Interwebz.

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, I Can Has Cheezburger, Lolcats, Youtube, Twitter. You name it, cats are ALL OVER IT. They’ve gone from objects of worship to ridicule and laugh bait and back again. Funny cat videos will work wonders for my mood on a rainy day. It’s got powerz.

i_cant_brain_today_i_have_the_dumb_cat_poster-r7fa1ba65e26b415ebe39b3244da8457a_zec_8byvr_512

A few weeks ago I was sitting on my couch, bored with the TV viewing. After checking my social media streams I was inspired to ponder, then accordingly tweet:

Starting with John Birmingham (@JohnBirmingham) the retweets began and so responses began rolling in. Some, pretty darn funny:

IBOT 021214 Cats Twitter responses

Cats weren’t made for the internet. They appear to have made the internet…

News to the actual inventor of the Internet, Tim Berners-Lee, who is shocked by all the cats he sees on there. Now he fears for the future of the internet and humankind alike, poor man.

One of Thomas Edison’s greatest achievements was the invention of the motion picture camera. Yes- while helping shape and influence the world as we know it today, the awesome mind behind the long life lightbulb-  (idea!)-  used his creation to film this- over a century ago. As you do. Suck on that, YouTube!

It’s pretty easy to guess how Edison would have chosen to wield this incredibly powerful network of worldwide communications, right?

I suspect the appeal of cat humour is that their historically revered and regal nature lends itself so beautifully to being taken the piss out of. Something the ancient Egyptians might’ve worked out if only they’d had a laser pen. (What’s that Grumpy Cat? No?!)

Also going for this meme of memes is that it’s a game most of us can play at home. And share. And share. And share.

One of these days. ONE of these daaaays…

Have you shared your cat on the net? Like them, or are you one of those completely over it?

Kathy December 11, 2014 at 10:20 am

Don’t have a cat now, but had a gorgeous fluffy cat that was deaf with two different coloured eyes when I was growing up – and she had character until she was inevitably (being deaf and all) hit by a car. I’m going to try a daily dose of funny cats – of course I see them on the internet but I don’t go looking for them.

Peachy Keen Mumma - Jess December 4, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Having been personally offended or mutilated by cats, belonging to the other people I was living with, I cannot reason myself to ever owning one. That said I am quite happy to have them make me happy from the safety of my computer screen. I’m not sure why dogs got the name bitches when clearly cats take the litter in that department. Bitchiness can be funny though just not when it makes my legs bleed from claw marks.

Twitchy December 4, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Agreed- your take on cats makes complete sense to me! Sorry they were such bitches to you :/

Grace December 3, 2014 at 1:22 pm

LOL! Those retweets are gold! We don’t have cats. I used have one, before the days of the internet. RIP Teila. Maybe I should post a photo of her on FB? So, you know…her spirit lives on :) x

Twitchy December 3, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Do it! Honour your puddy’s memory with an online tribute x

Bec December 3, 2014 at 8:46 am

Haha this is too funny. I used to love sharing pics of my mate Dexter, he would do the funniest things. I miss my cat :(

Lisa Heidke December 3, 2014 at 8:34 am

Cats rule!
Love this post, Twitchy!

JodiGibson (@JFGibsonWriter) December 2, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Oh yes! Have shared my cat a few times. But he’s just so adorable. And cats on the net are a great way to brighten the day when you’re having a bad one!

Becky from BeckyandJames December 2, 2014 at 8:22 pm

We miss out cat terribly and I appreciate the chance to enjoy other cats through the internet.

Huzilla December 2, 2014 at 7:16 pm

One of my good friends is the writer and editor of a magazine called Pussweek. I get to see ALLLLLLLL the cat memes……

Twitchy December 3, 2014 at 11:35 pm

PUSSWEEK. Gold.

Raychael Case December 2, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Our neighbour’s cat has recently decided to adopt our family. I think it has something to do with their newer cat and a dog. We haven’t owned a pet before so it’s a bit of a novelty at this stage and yes there has been photo sharing.

Twitchy December 2, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Oh yes, that was a smart move, wasn’t it. I threatened the same when my brother came along and stole my limelight.

Janet aka Middle Aged Mama December 2, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I’m completely crazy about kitties in general, my own kitty in particular. Miss 18 and I are always posting cat memes on each other’s Facebook … we may not communicate in other ways, but we will always have the language of kittehs!

Twitchy December 2, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Now I’ve learned something else I didn’t know. “Say I love you with a cat meme”.

Lyn @thetravellinglindfields December 2, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Cats on the internet are a wonderful reminder that we don’t have to be serious all the time.

EssentiallyJess December 2, 2014 at 2:59 pm

My cat would give Grumpy Cat a run for his money.
But i refuse to put him on the internet because he already thinks too highly of himself.
The thought that he has the internet and blogs about how annoying I am, is not only frightening, but kind of believable.

Amy @ HandbagMafia December 2, 2014 at 2:52 pm

I’m a cat mummy and cats on the internet are my go-to giggle and pick me up. I love them. What a great post, think I’ll go look up some lol cats!

Twitchy December 2, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Seriously considering doing a part two Cats and Internet thingy and then maybe following up with a Dumb Dogs one. Good idea?

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen December 2, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Our cat rules the house! She’s a big Maine Coon and has our two dogs absolutely bluffed.

Twitchy December 2, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Excellent work on her part. Those cats are beautiful.

Robyn December 2, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Haha, this is too funny. Cats rule the world, not the the internet. I may be a little biased since we got out two kittens a few weeks ago – they are the cutest EVER and totally all over my instagram xx

Twitchy December 3, 2014 at 12:10 am

As they should be! Where on Earth would Instagram be, without cats, (food, beaches and sunsets)? NOWHERE. That’s where.

Toni @ Finding Myself Young December 2, 2014 at 11:43 am

Cats totally own the internet. Cat videos are awesome for lifting ones mood. I have two cats and if I was actually on the ball and had my phone ready to record half the time they do stupid shit then it’d be all over the internet. But of course they like to do the funny stuff when theres no proof.

Twitchy December 2, 2014 at 11:31 pm

They’ve got one over on you. You have to get them back. I have a good one of our kitty when she was smaller, completely shredding the shit out of the newspaper. Cat 1 Paper 0.

Lisa @ Mummy's Undeserved Blessings December 2, 2014 at 8:16 am

Cats do make the internet! Sometimes when I am bored I just google funny cat videos, photos and memes. Maybe that makes me a crazy cat lady???

Min@WriteoftheMiddle December 2, 2014 at 7:32 am

I think I am more a crazy dog lady than a crazy cat lady, having two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels – so have not really taken any notice of all the cat stuff on the interwebs. I have owned two cats in the past though and am currently crushing on Ragdolls!! ;-)

Twitchy December 3, 2014 at 12:11 am

Dogs are excellent value and great pic fodder. I am definitely a cat AND dog person.

Renee Wilson December 2, 2014 at 7:05 am

Lol! No, I will never get over cats on the interweb. That ‘Can’t brain today, I have the dumb’ one is one of my favourites. It’s how I feel most days lol. That @johnbirmingham is a funny guy. Thanks for the laugh, Twitchy.

Lydia C. Lee December 2, 2014 at 6:54 am

That is an awesome question. I don’t like cats, so I don’t care but I give you kudos for thinking to ask….

Twitchy December 2, 2014 at 7:32 am

;) Even people who like cats don’t get it…

Josefa @always Josefa December 2, 2014 at 6:52 am

I completely LOVE seeing cats (or any animal really) on the internet – one of the best parts of the internet! One of my fave FB pages is called Daily Bunny – simple really – they post cute pics of pet rabbits. Sometimes that page brings me more joy and smiles to my day than a news site ever will ;)

Twitchy December 3, 2014 at 12:12 am

Bunnies are MAGICAL. They have incredible healing powers. I know because I’ve had them. VERY cost efficient for their benefits, too. Love.

Emily Toxward December 2, 2014 at 6:51 am

My cats are constantly annoyed by my kids it’s shocking – the poor things! Right now I’m battling! getting them to use the cat door because I’m OVER opening and shutting doors for them!