2014 Annual Brain Leave

by Twitchy on December 23, 2014

HOW do months whizz by ever more swiftly with each new calendar? 2014 is all but over. School has ended, kids are home for the extended Summer break and my disbelief sets in. I’m always like: “but, but… really??”

This is not a TwitchyCorner highlights or 2014 wrap post. (That would require research, compilation and effort.) In the past I’ve written stupid poems about how quickly the time flies. Fear not dear reader- for that  also, would require some effort.

This is merely a musing post about year’s ends; when I take stock (moved house, kept everyone alive, didn’t leave anyone behind at the bottle shop) then undertake my sacred annual rituals. As the mercury rises, my brain, care-factor and heat-affected life forces plummet to sloth-like levels, threatening to remain there for a number of weeks. I may choose to get a little house-proud, socialise some. That’s it.

SEVEN WEEKS of non-stop noise plus mess plus searing heat? WHY THANK YOU! Too generous…really you shouldn’t have. The very idea renders me senseless. Below is a dramatic approximation of my Summer-rate enthusiasm. Also pretty much literally what I will be doing: wilting like an Autumn petal but with a couch and a jug of home-made iced espresso mocha.

Sloth gif

2014 has seen us FINALLY in our built new home. My kids have grown and developed in a kind of time lapse before my very eyes. The girl, at very-almost-eight has consolidated her reading, beautiful handwriting and class skills in a sudden leap. She’s musical, acrobatic, cluey, observant. The boy, at now fifteen started a new school in February*. It was the single best move for him ever and the greatest step toward a better future. I see glimpses of his potential, the young man he’s becoming (with giant feet). He’s eaten everything in his path (a locust swarm and upstairs-overhead-stampede of one) and grown so much taller!

It’s been a big year. We all deserve some chill time. So I won’t be looking to do too much cooking or rigorous decision-making and what I do have left I’ll be using to bribe/crowbar young eyes and bodies away from screens and shove them outdoors.

dinner-again-isnt-it-about-time-you-went-outside-and-learnt-to-fucking-photosynthesize-e7170

“Beach weather!” I hear? But I only go when it’s cool, or late and half deserted. High heat signals the Twitchy version of air-conned hibernation. So just redirect my mail to the couch or back verandah where I shall be watching movies (and grazing) or reading (and grazing), barely bothered to change out of my Summer robe unless I really like you. Mentally I’m so there already I can’t be arsed crafting a proper ending to this post.

What’s your brain doing this Summer?

(* One of my most read and shared posts.)

Janet aka Middle Aged Mama December 24, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I’m feeling it too Twitchy. It didn’t help that I went on a cruise last week and now the last minute rush for Christmas – but I’m already in holiday mode and just want to veg!

Bec @ The Plumbette December 23, 2014 at 10:45 pm

It’s crazy how fast this year has gone! I hope you have a fabulous Christmas and that the holidays are more relaxing than described above. Xx

Aroha @ Colours of Sunset December 23, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Another year over, a new one….about to begin. They go faster the older I get. They’ll be warp speed soon. I actually love the holidays. I love lazy mornings, no rush to get anywhere, being able to start the morning at the beach, bacon, eggs, coffee….if I didn’t need to work, I would un-school and do it every day. For about 6 months, then I’d probably want him to go to school. x Aroha (for #teamIBOT) ;)

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen December 23, 2014 at 4:05 pm

My brain started holidays a couple of weeks ago!
Have a fabulous Christmas, Twitchy xx

Mrs Organised December 23, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Nothing beats the holidays … no more lunch boxes or morning rush, lazy sleep ins and days at the beach … love it! Enjoy it while it lasts … Merry Christmas!

EssentiallyJess December 23, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I’m enjoying the laziness of the summer holidays as well, although for me that definitely includes the beach. It’s just the perfect place to lay around and read. And graze.
Have a wonderful break. xx

Denyse December 23, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Wonderful to read about the kids..”I remember when…” known you so long of course. This is a lovely post. Me, I love the beach. We are moving closer to water in 3 weeks time. It’s a wrench to leave family behind in some ways, in others it is freedom-making. I hedge my bets, only 1.5 hours drive away! Enjoy whatever the next 7 weeks brings… Love Denyse xx

Jodi Gibson (JF Gibson Writer) December 23, 2014 at 11:37 am

Oh I feel you. My brain is taking a well deserved holiday. I just hope she returns to situation normal by mid January! Merry Christmas x

Deb December 23, 2014 at 11:04 am

Am exactly the same on the beach front. I much prefer it in winter when it’s cool and deserted!

And yep… it’s a perfect time of year to down tools and have a break. Brain and all!

Deb

Twitchy December 23, 2014 at 11:23 am

Deb I DO go to the beach in Summer. Just for night walks with ice cream. Have a great break.

Pinky Poinker December 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

Haven’t left anyone at the bottle shop… love it. The sloth is too funny to comment on. The heat does strange things to my brain too Twitchy. Have a lovely Christmas and holiday season :)

Look Backward December 23, 2014 at 8:20 am

I look forward to seizing whatever opportunity at sloth, presents itself to me.
And all in the name of “battery” recharging.
Make sure you get some real “you” time during the school break!

Amy @ HandbagMafia December 23, 2014 at 7:57 am

I’ve been to the beach. Tick. Will that do? :)

Twitchy December 23, 2014 at 11:24 am

What else IS there? ;)

Mumabulous December 23, 2014 at 7:54 am

My brain is doing much the same as yours really.

Hugzilla December 23, 2014 at 7:13 am

This time of the year is so crazy for me. In one week I have Christmas, birthday and NYE and to be honest it’s exhausting and I want it to be over already. LOL. Sounds grinchy I know, but I’m so tired at the end of that year and the final week is always like having to sprint to the finish line at the end of a marathon, when i just want to collapse and crawl.

Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit December 23, 2014 at 6:54 am

My brain will be on the beach.
Or it may be on the couch with yours …
But my body will be on the beach.
Come summer, my brain and body aren’t necessarily in the same spot.
Merry Christmas!